SweetFactory
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the IMO: World of Magic guild, SweetFactory

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

iPhone OS 4.0

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GeorgeJQ

GeorgeJQ

iPhone OS 4.0 Empty
PostSubject: iPhone OS 4.0   iPhone OS 4.0 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 4:19 pm

So, iPhone OS 4.0 was introduced at the Apple event today.

Here's the overview i got over at iPod touch Fans
Quote :
AVAILABILITY: iPhone OS 4.0 will be available for the mobile devices in Summer 2010. It will be available for iPad in Fall. It will be available for iPhone 3G/s and iPod touch 3rd gen. iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G will have limited features. iPod touch 1G and iPhone 2G are not included.

On April 8th, 2010, hundreds of people gathered at one place to celebrate a new version of the iPhone Operation System: 4.0. If you didn't know about this, or you were at school or work like others, here is a round up on what happened:

Information on products announced....
450,000 iPads were sold to this date (8th April /10)
600,000 Books in the iBooks store
3.5 million iPad apps downloaded to this date.
4 billion regular apps downloaded to this date (185,000 regular apps on the App Store)
3500 iPad apps in total on the App Store.
There are a total of 85 million iPods and iPhones bought to this date.
Mobile Safari takes 64% of the mobile browser cake.

"There will be 1500 new APIs. In-app SMS, Calendar, Automated testing, Full map overlays, full access to still and video camera data, carrier information, ICC profiles, Image I/O, half-curl page transition, Quick Look, package-based documents, call event notifications, iPod remote control accessories, Draggable map annotations and a few more. Nothing super amazing in here that we see in here." -Jason Chen (Gizmodo)

Here are some new items added:
-In-app SMS
-Bluetooth keyboards
-5X digital zoom (camera)
-home screen wallpaper! (change lock screen, homescreen, or both)
-MULTITASKING (double-click home button to use) Here's how it works. You can have 4 (EDIT: it can hold more than 4. This was found out on an engadget first look video) apps in the background. To keep your device from slowing, every developer can choose which aspects of their app to background. Therefore, the whole app isn't backgrounded: just main parts of the app. NOT FOR 2G iPod, 3G iPhone
-Unified Inbox
-Folders - Kind of a better version of the Jailbreak app "Categories". Removes clutter of apps in the springboard. Easy to find applications now.
-iBooks Store for iPhone/touch
-Enterprise - Even better data protection. It encrypts email and attachments. There will be APIs available so developers can encrypt stuff inside their own apps. Also, Mobile Device management.
-Game Center - A giant Apple-made social gaming center. Nuff said.
-iAds (there have been 1 billion ad impressions per day, Apple wants in) Apple is helping developers (free ones as well) add advertisements to make money.

Seven Services:
1. Background audio - music from apps in the background
2. Voice-over (VoIP) - talk over VoIp (Skype, etc) while in another app
3. Background location - GPS in the background, indication in status bar of location tracking
4. Push - (After 9 months, they've pushed over 10 billion notifications)
5. Local Notifications
6. Task Completion - finish task in background
7. Fast App Switching - app stops completely, and starts from where it left off when you're back.

What are your thoughts on this?

i hate how most of the cool features wont be supported on older iPhone and iPod models Sad. looks like its time to start saving for a new iPod touch
Back to top Go down
http://ijailbreakdiy.wordpress.com/
Xel

Xel

iPhone OS 4.0 Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPhone OS 4.0   iPhone OS 4.0 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 5:11 pm

So wait, what exactly is not for the iPod Touch 2G besides multitasking? Because if that's it, my jailbroken iPod will scoff at that. There's really nothing BIG here I'm seeing besides multitasking but I can already do that at ease.
Back to top Go down
GeorgeJQ

GeorgeJQ

iPhone OS 4.0 Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPhone OS 4.0   iPhone OS 4.0 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 5:50 pm

i think that the seven services listed at the bottom all won't be included Sad
Back to top Go down
Xel

Xel

iPhone OS 4.0 Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPhone OS 4.0   iPhone OS 4.0 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 6:04 pm

GeorgeJQ wrote:
i think that the seven services listed at the bottom all won't be included Sad

Ahh well 2 an 7 is all I care about but honestly, jailbreaking my ipod was the best thing I've ever done. So 4.0 isn't a big thing for me :p
Back to top Go down
GeorgeJQ

GeorgeJQ

iPhone OS 4.0 Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPhone OS 4.0   iPhone OS 4.0 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 4:08 pm

yea apparently its already jailbroken since musclenerd from the dev team was able to put veency on it

Back to top Go down
ChocoVanilla
Admin
ChocoVanilla

iPhone OS 4.0 Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPhone OS 4.0   iPhone OS 4.0 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 7:49 pm

GeorgeJQ wrote:
yea apparently its already jailbroken since musclenerd from the dev team was able to put veency on it

IT can be jailbroken, but the program is still in its Beta form so very early in its development stages. If anyone is upgrading to o.s. 4.0 you are best advised to wait a bit as they get all of the kinks out.
Back to top Go down
https://sweetfactoryimo.forumotion.com
GeorgeJQ

GeorgeJQ

iPhone OS 4.0 Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPhone OS 4.0   iPhone OS 4.0 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 9:11 pm

theres no reason for normal people to upgrade to os 4.0, since its just for developement purposes. and theres also no way to get it unless your an apple dev. and im pretty sure you cant porate it, cuz u need to have your device udid registered with apple i think
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

iPhone OS 4.0 Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPhone OS 4.0   iPhone OS 4.0 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

iPhone OS 4.0
Page 1 of 1